Other parts of this series:
In a post-digital era, insurance products and services will evolve and adapt to customer behaviours and contexts—they will fit every moment. Accenture’s Technology Vision 2019 for Insurance identifies five emerging trends that will help shape insurance over the next three years.
As the world moves into a technology-saturated post-digital era of heightened customer expectations and personalisation, insurance organisations must find new ways to differentiate themselves. Digital leaders are taking bold steps. Accenture’s 2019 Technology Vision for Insurance looks at the changing insurance landscape to identify the trends that will help power insurers beyond 2019.
A new way
Advances are arriving rapidly. Leading insurers are using new technologies, value propositions and business models to weave real-time risk protection and mitigation services into their customers’ everyday lives. They are figuring out how they can use these elements to shape the world around people and pick the right moments to offer their products and services.
Products and services that adapt to fit every moment are already available. There are life policies that track customers’ fitness and health data through wearable devices to provide rewards; telematics-enabled auto insurance that rewards safe driving; parametric travel policies that instantly pay compensation when a flight is delayed for more than two hours; and even customisable insurance for millennial renters and on-demand, pay-as-you-go insurance for short-term workers.
- More intense engagements build customer loyalty and satisfaction.
- The wealth of data collected by insurers allows them to understand customers with a new level of granularity and assess risks and price insurance with more precision, potentially improving competitiveness and profitability.
- Joining with ecosystem partners helps eliminate industry boundaries, with companies bypassing the competition by changing the way the market itself works.
- Being present ‘in the moment’ gives insurance companies the opportunity to play a role in shaping it—if they can earn and keep customers’ trust.
But there are also many questions to wrestle with.
- With limitless opportunities, which of them do you target?
- How will new insurance products and services impact society?
- How do you create and position your business within the new ecosystems?
- How do you avoid crossing ethical boundaries when there are different lines for every scenario and moment?
Against this background, Accenture’s Technology Vision 2019 for Insurance identifies five emerging trends that will help shape insurance over the next three years.
2019 TECH TRENDS
- DARQ POWER. This is the next set of technologies that will spark a step change, letting insurers reimagine the entire industry and its role in the world.
- GET TO KNOW ME. Tech-driven interactions will create a tech identity for every insurance customer—they are the key to understanding the next generation of consumers and to delivering individualised, experience-based relationships.
- HUMAN+ WORKER. Insurance workforces are becoming ‘human+’ as workers are augmented by a new set of tech-driven capabilities. Insurers must adapt technology strategies to support a new way of working.
- SECURE US TO SECURE ME. Ecosystem-driven business connections increase insurers’ exposure to risks. Security must therefore be a collaborative effort.
- Insurance companies must reinvent their organisations to find and capture opportunities as they come, meeting consumers’ needs at the speed of now.
Join me over the next two weeks as I take a closer look at two trends, namely ‘Human+’ Worker and DARQ Power, that will impact the insurance workforce—my particular area of interest.
Meanwhile, for more insight, click through to Accenture’s 2019 Technology Vision for Insurance.